Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Tracy Chevalier Comes to Dallas

During a trip to the Dallas Museum of Art in January I noticed--with great surprise and delight--that one of my favorite authors, Tracy Chevalier, was coming to Dallas for a reading at that very museum. Not being a fiction fan, Mihir has never read her books, but I certainly have. Her best known novel is Girl with a Pearl Earring, which was adapted into a film starring Colin Firth and Scarlett Johansson. Her lasted effort, Burning Bright, is about the 18th century British weirdo William Blake, and it's just recently out in paperback. The timing of her appearance was a little inconvenient--just 3 days after our return from India, and only an hour after Mihir's flight from Atlanta landed at DFW. The poor man hadn't been home at all since we left for India, and I whisked him off to this reading. He was a good sport. What a great husband I have. The reading didn't disappoint. As someone who would love to write, I'm always enthused to hear about authors' inspirations and work habits. Ms Chevalier is very inspired by art and the process of creating art. While I don't necessarily share that affinity, but she did validate my suspicion that inspiration comes from a variety of places, and few authors are the same. It was a great evening for me. I've long wanted to meet her, and she made it an experience to remember.

No comments: